- 15 October 2018 : ‘Creativity Everything’ talk at The Power Plant, Toronto
Free event! 15 November 2018.
- 10 October 2018 : Elegant workshop process at Artscape Launchpad
A nice simple workshop that works.
- 30 September 2018 : A Drawing A Day – September 2018
- 31 August 2018 : From the archives: Media as triggers, as sparks, and the ‘push’ model of making
Good bit from 2015.
- 31 August 2018 : A Drawing A Day – August 2018
A fresh new batch.
- 18 August 2018 : From the archives: Media Studies 2.0
This was quite contentious, eleven years ago.
- 3 August 2018 : New course anxieties and two solutions
It's all about what happens in the room.
- 2 August 2018 : A Drawing A Day restarts after 3,185-day pause
Return of the drawing project which previously ran 2004-09.
- 4 July 2018 : Toronto Maker Festival workshop
Maker identities workshop.
- 4 July 2018 : Video from ‘Making is Connecting’ Second Edition launch
New 33-minute talk.
- 29 May 2018 : Book launch and talk, Toronto, 26 June 2018
Free event at Artscape Sandbox.
- 8 May 2018 : Two-minute video about new book
A short introduction to the new book.
- 4 May 2018 : Research theme #3: Public understanding of creative practice
The third of my three Canada Research Chair themes.
- 4 May 2018 : Research theme #2: Creative identities and leadership
The second of my three Canada Research Chair themes.
- 4 May 2018 : Research theme #1: Platforms for creativity
The first of my three Canada Research Chair themes.
- 4 May 2018 : New Canada research plans and activities
My Canada Research Chair seven-year plan.
- 24 April 2018 : DIY academia
On self-reliance – a piece that I wrote for Funding Insight magazine.
- 10 April 2018 : Free preview: Making is Connecting introduction
New stuff from new book, free, online, right now.
- 9 April 2018 : Deleted section: ‘Some imagined futures’
Rescued from the bin – a 'deleted scene' from Making is Connecting.
- 8 April 2018 : Helpful people: A guide for researchers
Another in the unexpectedly long series of articles for Funding Insight magazine.
- 5 March 2018 : Your creative self (course)
A new course I'm offering at Ryerson University, Toronto.
- 8 February 2018 : The rise of the entrepreneurial academic
Making things happen. An article I wrote for Funding Insight magazine.
- 16 January 2018 : Toronto: new beginnings
A new job at Ryerson University. Locals are invited to say hi.
- 1 November 2015 : Job opportunity: Digital DIY researcher
A job advert! I really do need to find someone great for this. Please help. Deadline is 22 November 2015.
- 26 September 2015 : Chicago: Libraries as platforms for creativity, day two
The second day of my Chicago trip, including my talk and workshop.
- 24 September 2015 : Chicago: Libraries as platforms for creativity, day one
I visited Chicago Public Library System, where they are rethinking libraries as places of making and exchange.
- 11 September 2015 : Making meaningful connections … and the future of universities
University education as conversations, inspirations, making things happen.
- 27 August 2015 : Making Things workshop, with LEGO Minecraft, and music, in a library
A workshop on making things physically and digitally. Plus an argument for responsive, unobtrusive research.
- 21 August 2015 : Achieving REF-able ‘impact’ in the arts and humanities
Also written for Funding Insight magazine. Ignore this post if you happen to be oblivious to UK academic worries about 'the REF' – lucky you.
- 21 August 2015 : Writing a successful funding application in the arts and humanities
An article I wrote for Funding Insight magazine.
- 17 July 2015 : Milan makerspaces
The #DiDIY team enjoyed informative and inspiring visits to WeMake and OpenDot in Milan.
- 3 July 2015 : Platforms for Creativity: Eight principles revisited
Newer, tidier version of my 'eight principles' piece, which can be read alongside my new blog post 'Platforms for Creativity: Introduction'.
- 3 July 2015 : Platforms for Creativity: Introduction
Explaining what I mean when I talk about 'platforms for creativity'.
- 17 June 2015 : Chicago ‘Platforms for Creativity’ event featuring all-new tinkerbox workshop concept
Chicago event on 23 September 2015.
- 1 June 2015 : Museums and libraries as platforms for creativity
What happened when I went to the International Centre of Graphic Arts in Ljubljana.
- 14 April 2015 : The most important thing is making meaningful connections
On meaningful connections rather than frictionless content.
- 3 April 2015 : Research Through Design #RTD2015 reflected in LEGO
From an amazing conference in Cambridge.
- 24 March 2015 : Making Media Studies – 2‑minute intro video
New video about new book.
- 10 March 2015 : Digital Folk – launch event, 1 April 2015
An exciting free event in London.
- 10 February 2015 : What is Digital DIY? – part two
We're still working on it.
- 6 February 2015 : What is Digital DIY?
Some starter thoughts about our EU-funded project.
- 30 January 2015 : Storify summary of ‘Platforms for Creativity’ events
Pictures, tweets and blog posts from the Dundee events.
- 13 January 2015 : Dundee event: Platforms for Creativity
A talk and a workshop about creativity with Amy Twigger Holroyd, on 29 January 2015.
- 4 January 2015 : Open Access: Articles by me about everyday creativity, making, and digital media
Things by me that you can read for free.
- 30 December 2015 : Collaborating with businesses and organisations for research
Part two of the two-part series on collaborations.
- 16 December 2014 : Building collaborative relationships for research
An article on collaborations I wrote for 'Research Professional'.
- 13 November 2014 : Digital DIY – new EU funded project
New project starts in early 2015.
- 7 November 2014 : At the World Innovation Summit for Education, WISE 2014
On the importance of play, for everyone.
- 6 November 2014 : De Chocoladefabriek Gouda – Making is Connecting in action
Reinventing the library, in an old chocolate factory.
- 13 October 2014 : Why ‘share’ and ‘sharing’ are often the wrong words
More thoughts on inappropriate words.
- 12 October 2014 : Never said ‘prosumer’ in my life
I don't like made-up words.
- 3 October 2014 : Technology and learning – panel discussion with Ashoka and LEGO Foundation
Video of a Google Hangout.
- 24 September 2014 : Making Media Studies: book finished and blurb done
I finished writing my new book!
- 14 August 2014 : Micro LEGO Serious Play: How small can a useful tool for thinking be?
Can you do LEGO Serious Play with just 37 pieces?
- 16 July 2014 : Making Media Studies: What kinds of knowledge do we need now?
Extract from crowdsourced interview in my new book.
- 24 June 2014 : What do you know about?
Final post in the self-reflective four-part series.
- 23 June 2014 : Some things that I like to emphasise
...that people in my kind of field don’t always emphasise. Part 3 of the 4-part series.
- 20 June 2014 : What I’m trying to work out
What can I usefully do? Part 2 in a series of 4.
- 19 June 2014 : What’s the point of you again?
What am I trying to do? Part 1 of a 4-part series.
- 10 June 2014 : Making Media Studies: Extract from new book
What is 'The creativity turn in media and communications studies'?
- 5 June 2014 : Infographics!
Wordy conversations turned into graphic graphics!
- 22 May 2014 : Questions please, for new crowdsourced interview
Send me a question please!
- 15 May 2014 : Amy Twigger Holroyd and David Gauntlett in conversation, #3: On small steps
Last in the series.
- 15 May 2014 : Digital Folk – new project
New AHRC funded research.
- 8 May 2014 : Amy Twigger Holroyd and David Gauntlett in conversation, #2: On sustainability
Number two in the series of three.
- 7 May 2014 : Playful creative learning: adults first
The cart before the horse.
- 1 May 2014 : Amy Twigger Holroyd and David Gauntlett in conversation, #1: On design, and systems
First in a series of three!
- 24 March 2014 : Media Studies 2.0: a whole new book!
A good book.
- 11 March 2014 : Actually doing the thing
- 4 March 2014 : ‘Participation Culture, Creativity, and Social Change’ full video
New old long video.
- 5 February 2014 : Previously unpublished ‘Making is Connecting’ opening
Featuring William Morris and Martin Creed.